Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Secret Recipe French Toast with sausage patties

These all natural sausages are precooked and I just take them straight from the freezer and put them in my cast iron skillet (no need to grease the pan) and fry them til lightly browned and heated through.  They cook while I make the French toast.

Generally I allow 2 patties per person.  Since I'm making breakfast for 3 today I place 6 patties in the pan. They cook on medium heat and get put on the plates when done and wait for the other items to be plated alongside.  I aim for things to be ready at the same time and I find that starting the sausage first is the best way to come close to that.

Here are my secret ingredients to the greatest French Toast in the world.  On the left is the whole nutmeg jar with the nutmeg grater just to the right of it.  My nutmeg grater has a flip-top that opens to a small space to store a nutmeg ball (one of the whole nutmegs) and also is designed with a hole in the top so it can be hung on the wall which I find very handy.  Next from the left is the real maple syrup made from the tree sap (no flavored sugar water allowed except when it's all you've got), cinnamon, butter, flat bottom bowl (large enough to allow a slice of bread to lie flat), 5 eggs (up this to 6 depending on how absorbent your bread is and on how much cream you want to add), real vanilla flavoring, and finally Ezekiel 4:9 bread (or just about any healthy bread works with this recipe).

Crack your eggs into the bowl.

Add in a hefty dash of cinnamon, a dash of sea salt (this enhances the flavor but don't overdo it), freshly ground pepper to your liking (I like about 5 turns of the mill), a splash of heavy cream (any type of milk or half and half will also work), a little freshly grated nutmeg, and a drizzle of vanilla flavoring.

Use a fork to wisk the ingredients around.

Melt some butter on a griddle

Spread the butter around.

Soak a slice of bread for a minute or so if you have the time otherwise just dip it, flip it and transfer it to the griddle.

Two slices fit on my griddle at a time so I'll have to do this 3 times.

Since I didn't give my bread a long soak at the beginning  I have poured a little extra egg mixture on top of the bread while on the griddle and poked it in with a fork so it can soak in while it cooks.

Time to flip.

My cast iron does a great job of cooking at medium temperature.  It retains heat so well that the temperature never needs to go higher.

Fist round.

Now going on to the 2nd and 3rd round.

Sausage patties are nicely browned on both sides and ready to serve.

Plated up with some orange rings.  Orange rings are so easy to make.  Just rinse off an orange, cut off the two ends, set one of the cut ends down on a cutting board and cut off the peel in parallel strips all the way around then slice into rings.  Instead of orange rings I sometimes make fresh squeezed orange juice which is a real treat.

Go ahead and spread a little butter on each slice before serving so that no butter has to be put out on the table.

The finishing touch is pouring on some maple syrup.  Once when we had guests come to visit from Italy this was what they requested the most for breakfast because they loved the real maple syrup which is harder to come by in Italy. 

3 comments:

  1. Cathey! You made me hungry!
    I'm at work, so I'll have to wait.
    This recipe will help my French toast. I'll try it this weekend.
    Do you have a recipe for crepes? I love crepes.
    :)
    Gabriela M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the French toast recipe. I got most of my ideas for it from a Bible School summer camp where the chef shared his secrets with me while I helped out in the kitchen. Thanks for the crepes suggestion for a future post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love them Cathey!! I'll try to prepare french toast they are super :)
    Hugs
    Marta

    ReplyDelete